Sunday, July 6, 2008

No plan ever survives first contact with reality

I often wonder what the world would look like had Adam and Eve not eaten the fruit. But, then I realize that sooner or later, someone would have gotten curious, taken the bite, and we'd be where we are now. Regardless, God gave His greatest creation, man, the freedom of choice. We can choose how we act or react towards things. This is a great freedom and the one most often either abused or misused or just not used at all.

Sometimes, however, things happen that have little to do with our choice, and a lot to do with God's supreme inevitability. One of our team members has had to step out of the trip because a heart cath found some pretty severe blockage. He found this out on Monday, June 30th, and on Wednesday, July 2nd, he had a multiple by-pass surgery. He and his wife will not be going to Russia!

What this reminded me of is this: God has a plan. God allowed this team member, and his wife, to be fully healthy during the months of planning & preparation. God allowed them to contribute time and resources to make this trip a success and God allowed him to come out of a successful surgery with his wife at his side. What would have happened had something happened overseas? Who knows, God took care of it. Our plans rarely go the way we plan. God's reality is always jumping in, rearranging what we planned.

But, do you know what the great thing is? Our plan should be God's plan in the first place. In my life, God has always given me a compass, but never a map. You know why? Because He knows I'll try and take a short cut to wherever it is He is leading me to go. We'll miss these team members and as much as I hate that they can't go, I hate that he is having surgery even more. But, I love that the God we served allowed them to be such principle parts in the preparation. I love that he is recovering well, I love that one of the last things he said to me was "I'm sorry I can't go!" In all that we do, we should seek to serve the God who created us. It's not our life and it's not our plan.

Eugene & Colleen, we'll miss you not being in Russia with us, but thank you so much for all of your hard work and your dedication to the orphans and this team! You'll be missed and although I know your bodies are not going, I know your heart is already there.

No comments: