Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Flex & Obey


First of all - baby, call me! I need to hear your voice and although I can receive calls, I can't seem to make any! I also can't seem to be able to check email. Just remember it's 9 hours ahead here! Now that I have said that ...

If you start humming a familiar hymn, you're right on the money. First of all, this entry is a day late because yesterday, I could not find the power plug to the Mac because it had been mistakenly placed into a suitcase that was locked in a building at an orphanage on the Gulf of Finland. Part of me wanted to file the insurance claim just so I could have the joy of explaining how it had been lost while transporting 60 miniature barking dogs to orphans on the Gulf Of Finland!

What a remarkable experience. I have the awesome and unique privilege of watching a group of people go through a metamorphosis. My prayers have been answered in so many ways. This group has, is, becoming a different form of what they thought they were. Every night we debrief the day. We do a high-low and a feelings check. I pass around an object (last night it was a bottle of bubbles, tonight it was a bottle of bug-repellent!) and whoever has it has to share their high for the day, their low for the day and then a one word feeling to describe their feelings. Tonight, it was all grins & giggles - for the most part. People expressing how wonderful it is to love and work with the kids. How smooth it is all going - how they are growing and being challenged.

Last night was a completely different story. Tears. Weeping. Sadness. Broken hearts. Even amongst those that had been here two years ago, so much has changed. Some for the better, some for the worse, and some just ... changed.

Orphanage #14 - the older kids looks like a different place. New soccer (football!) court, volleyball court & basketball court all made from a soft resin. Feels like rubber. Great to run & play on. Buildings have fresher paint, but most importantly, the kids are different & the director is different. He seems to genuinely love them and they are better behaved. Even one of the kids from two years ago - Kosta - has been great. Awesome smile, great spirit, great kid! What a work God has done! I'm embarrassed to say that I was stunned when we pulled up. I'll tell you more later, but know things are very different.

Then there's orphanage #40 - the younger kids. Wow. And not a good wow. Not stunned, but overwhelmed. Fewer kids at both, but where the older kids have grown, the younger ones seem ... sadder? No, that's not the right word. Just, a little less energy than last time. Very few kids are here that were here then - less than 10. And no, "Pinky" is gone and I haven't the courage to ask where she is.

The kids at 40 seem worse. But, we have been given access to some of the kids that we could not completely engage in 2006. We are working with all the kids this year - including the very sick and very severe ones. One group has kids that are the most severely handicapped. Down syndrome, fetal alcohol syndrome, CP, and other challenges are there and these kids are not only non-verbal, some of them are almost impossible to control. The first day was exceptionally hard. Tears from everyone - including me. Too many stories to tell here (it's already too long!) but I will tell you this. Rachelle, Byron, Sarah B., Brandon, Michelle, Tad and myself are working with these most challenged children. When we walked away from their area (we're being segregated more this year), we all felt as though we had survived a plane crash. Nothing worked as planned. These kids can't color, can't sing, can't follow the story - but they still love bubbles!

Anyway, so yesterday, we walked away completely spent emotionally & physically. All were weeping, and all were wondering how we would survive. Our lead translator & guide, Masha (that's Tzarina Masha) said "Perhaps we should allow the groups to rotate so they wont be so worn out?" Not a bad thought. We were shot and terrified and wondering what secret energy source might be out there to allow us to survive this week. So, I turned to this team and asked about this idea, and I've never been so proud of a group of people in my life.

EVERYONE, every single member of this group said "Absolutely not."
"These are our kids - we love them, they're ours."
"We're not leaving them!"
I looked at Masha, with tears in my eyes, and simply turned away. What fools would do this to themselves? No language connection, no way to communicate, children that exhaust you instantly (we're talking a more than two to one ratio here) none of the plans will corral or entertain them, none of us owe them anything or have even met them before, so why the dedication? What makes them our kids? The love of Christ makes them our kids. The secret energy source is God. The ability to adapt and endure (today was awesome!) is the power of the Holy Spirit.

When I turned back to Masha, I told her that the team would not leave even if I asked them to - none of them would. All of the teams (there are four of them) are equally dedicated to their group of children. All of them are, quite frankly, in love. Do I believe in love at first sight? Yes, I do. It happened between me and my wife and it happed in a small Russian wood, on the coast of the Gulf of Finland.

7 comments:

Jeff Raines said...

David, regarding email, our internet was down from Fri-Tues...so no email came in or out. Its working now though. Great message today. Anne was wondering why you hadn't called! Say hi to the group for me and let them know they're in our prayers!
Peace,
Jeff

Anonymous said...

Team, God always Blesses those who Bless Him...it looks a group from Amarillo has been busy Blessing. Glad to hear that God is first and foremost, the kids next and your needs last. How proud of you He is! In Christ, Shane

Anonymous said...

Hey Hon,
Well this is the second time I've written a comment, but somehow my first one didn't "take".
Thank you, thank you for sharing all that you did in this last post...oh how I miss being there to hug on the kids and their caregivers, but it is so very evident that God has the right people at the right time, just like He always does. I'm so very proud of you and of the team, and so excited about the seeds that you are planting, and remember that just because the children can't verbalize their understanding of what you are sharing, the Holy Spirit is there revealing it to their precious hearts. Be encouraged!!

Zachary and I miss you terribly, and we talk about you every day, several times a day!! I remind him how much you love him and miss him, and that you will be home soon... in 5 days as a matter of fact!! :)
But, until then, may God continue to strengthen you and give you wisdom as you minister to the ones His Son called to himself.

By the way, I'm so sorry that Pinky isn't there, but my prayer is that she is in a happy home. And, I'm thrilled by the changes at #14 and I can't wait to hear more about that. Is Anya still there??

I love you...infinity!!
Anne

Anonymous said...

well, okay, i hid the cable, so i take responsibility for the missing postings. i was wondering why there weren't any, i suspected sabatage, and lo and behold, it was because i let you down on packing bags. hopefully, all others were packed ok.
you all are still in our prayers. give our love to all,

eugene and colleen

Anonymous said...

David,

Ty left for St. Petersburg from LAX with the New America Singers at around 8:30 last night, so I don't know what time in your zone they will arrive. I'm also not sure of their plans, so if someone from your group wants to call him, his number is 512-921-5130. I doubt your paths will cross, but you never know. You guys are all in my prayers.

Jan Wood

Anonymous said...

Hey Dabid - Please know your family contingent in Atlanta/Marietta is praying for y'all. Since I'm the only on the computer today, I was voted to send you our best. We'll pray that all continues to go well with your ministries there and you'll have a safe, uneventful (non-plane light blinking) flight home.
Oh, and I'll try not to rub it in that we had yummy bison burgers with your Mom on her birthday last night at Ted's Montana Grill.
See you "on" the beach in 39 days...YIPPEE!
Love, your favorite Marietta sis-in-law, Ahgeee (I didn't want to rile up any of your other numerous sis-in-laws!)

Anonymous said...

David, Can you ask Michelle and Patrick if I need to go ahead and turn the home office back into a bedroom? LOL! I am so please to see that God is working through our team and that your hearts are in the right place...до свидания or good bye in case your tired of Russian...which I doubt! In Christ, Shane